Tuesday 15 April 2014

Asked out?? – List of things NOT to do

It took me a while to figure out what would interest me as the next blog post topic. You know that feeling when on a usual day you will have like a thousand post ideas, all making for awesome and fun read but when you actually come down to it - You reject them all...
So that's what happened to me... But then this one came up unexpectedly... And as the Nth time I goofed up… I realized if I cannot learn from my mistakes then maybe others could.

For people who know me, it’s not a shocker when I say that I have a history of mismanaging the few times I have been asked out so far. Hence I have compiled a list of Don'ts (which is my forte), and hope to someday compile a list of do’s ....


1.     Don’t play Hide and Seek: I did this in Post Grad College! Abandoned my hostel room for a month trying to hide from a friend who happened to like me. There is no redemption. It’s undoubtedly the most childish thing anyone can do. But if you are as averse to confrontation and giving bad news as me, this is probably the most instinctive reaction. Please be warned it doesn't end well and kills all chances of the guy having any respect for you afterwards :)

2.     Never say ‘Yes’ when you mean to say ‘No’: You have been single for too long and someone who you enjoy spending time with asks you out. You don’t think it’s the right move, but then think – “What the hell, let’s give it a shot! It might just work”… It does work… but IN MOVIES!!! You will not earn any brownie points by breaking his heart slowly. Please grow a spine and pull the bandage off as quickly as possible.

3.     Never weedle a proposal: Let him take his own sweet time. Its Darwin’s Survival of the fittest, the ones most intent will finally own up. Hastening the process never does anyone any good. As a perpetual attention seeker, and a very curious one at that, I just cannot wait. What’s worse, I cannot wait to hear it even when I know that my answer is going to be NO!! My only explanation: It feels great to actually hear those words from a man. But my most discerning readers, YOU should not egg him on just for your victory lap, proving yourself right and subconsciously keeping a score.

4.     Do not get your best friend to say no on your behalf: Absolutely disrespectful and cowardly, but probably also the easiest. I always want to play Good cop, and I am blessed with these sweethearts who are easily bullied or emotionally blackmailed to sometimes do my dirty work. Against their better judgment, I may add.
I have been on a date where I forced my friend to tag along as the -walking talking rejection’.  She tried her best to be subtle, while casually suggesting how she will be surprised if this will ever work out. The man got the hint, but was also pissed!
5.     Never accept and forget about it in a week: Okay, in my defense I never did this one. But have atleast one friend guilty of pulling this sort of shenanigan. You don’t need an explanation on why this sort of thing is bad.. Very bad…
Though it can happen when you are in two minds and in-between too many people asking you out... Problem of plenty
J

6.     Never accept gifts if you have to say “No”: Another one of my ‘not so proud’ moments... In my defense I love chocolates! And was thinking, they are edible things and will get spoilt if I don’t eat them, right?? I should know weaknesses can be manipulated. Well unfortunately my sweet tooth is well advertised in college, work place, at home, everywhere… Moral of the story do not be the quintessential Eve, and reason that it’s only a small gift. Resist the temptation because it makes you owe him one...

0 comments:

Post a Comment