Wednesday 2 April 2014

The Confirmed Bachelorette

- Rajvi Merchant's story in her words

Disclaimer:: This note is not meant to demean any of my married or about to be married friends. I am very happy for you and wish you all the happiness. But this is dedicated to all my single friends who are bearing the brunt of the deeds that u guys have done!!!
You know what?? XXXX is getting married!!!
Guess What!!! I am getting married!!!
Tada - XXXXX has updated his/her Relationship Status to married/engaged/committed
Okay so back in 2010 most of my friends jumped the single’s ship and ended up posting lovey dovey pics on their Facebook page.. Suddenly I had visited Singapore, Malaysia and Bangkok via various honeymoon albums and seen enough tiger cubs being fed with the milking bottles.
I have been dodging the matrimonial bullet for the longest time and it makes me a freak to my traditional gujju family. I am 28 (soon to be 29), Gujarati Jain girl who thinks career is cooler then the cooker and chai gossip sessions (pardon the clichés)
While i feel happy for all my friends who are getting hooked, the question which ticks me off is when they end the conversation by asking - So when are you getting MARRIED? This 'M' word really gets to me!!! I can’t understand the logic behind that question - Is it because you know you are putting your happiness and freedom on stake that you want to wish to see all happily single people married?
The worst one comes when you are at a social family gathering! The only reaction you get is - Oh My god u is all grown up... When are you inviting us to your wedding... (The thing that goes in my mind is - What made you think i would never grow up!! and u wish to see me sacrificed to the fire gods just for the heck of a free meal!!)
The rare and extinct species of my single friends is quickly diminishing and I wish I can run a 'Save the Singletons' campaign:)
Well due to my inefficiency of landing a aditya chopra’s filmy Raj kinda boyfriend who would in long term agree to marry me, my family decided to make me suffer through the most logical option after that.. Matrimonial websites and bureaus!!!
I have met some amusingly funny bunch of people so far… They are available in all kinds and types. They are each annoying in their own way. For one of those genius there was no difference between PR agency and a hair transplant agency
Then other wanted to ask me if I had any past relation and how did he chose to ask me – Do u have any HISTORY??? WTF… (Yes buddy, but like the one in my computer I do weekly cleanup of my personal history sessions too)
I do not blame the guys alone.. A single girl frd is going through the same painful process.. And this chick asks him – Do you wear branded clothes!!! I mean seriously woman…That’s what you need to know from the guy who you might marry!!!
A recent instance was a chap who I refused to meet and he insisted on a phone conversation at least…So I did talk to him.. It began with the usual mundane, what you do etc etc shit and then he got talking about his ex and that part went on for 20 minutes!!!! Really dude…grrrr
Anyway life goes on and one day in far far far far away future I am sure I will write about the joys of matrimony too.

9 comments:

  1. This may help..... ;)
    https://www.floh.in/singleinthecity/
    Cheers
    Ak

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will ask Rajvi to check the link and reply to you Akshay as she is the one who has single in the city point of views :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No please don't.... for internal consumption only.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice collection Kakkar san :) Rajvi, Fair, Docile, comes home before dark...Probably they are looking for Kaam wali bai :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anil San.... How are you ... ?very long time.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Save d singletons' - nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHA nice one Rajvi .It's hilarious and very true.. Marriage is most overrated thing in our society ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You Ashish, Anil, Abhishek and AK...

    ReplyDelete